Monday, April 29, 2013

The Return of the Native

 A brief stop in D.C. on the China bus
Chez Jane
In the process of creating a title for this blog about going back to NYC for the Manhattan Vintage Show, somehow return seemed appropriate.  When I thought of "the Native", I hesitated.  But I did grow up in Hartsdale (25 miles north) and I did work on Madison Avenue for three summers during my college years.  Not exactly a Manhattanite, but I have always felt a closenesss to "the City" because of all the culture I have appreciated over the years as well as the ultimate shopping experience.                                                                                                
 
 
 
I rode the China bus to 33rd and 7th Avenue and caught a cab to the Jane.
After briefly unpacking/nesting, I took the subway to the show.  It was better than I expected - 90 juried vendors with incredible treasures from decades ago.

The subway station at 14th Street

I checked in with my only vintage buddy, Mara, whom I met at the Chelsea Garage in February.  She had some lovely pieces and the skirt I purchased from her is one of my favorites.  I love the colors, the pattern, the style and the texture and it fit perfectly.
Then I moved into the unknown - the 89 other vendors and it was a bit overwhelming.  I did a lap around all the booths and was drawn back to a few for certain items.  I was on a budget so there was some negotiation but I felt that the pricing was fair.
The other customers were enjoyable; we got to know each other quickly in the shared dressing rooms.  The vendors were friendly, encouraging, but not pushy.  It opened a broader world of vintage for me and I can't wait to explore more of it in my now native Richmond, Virginia.



Lace, lace, lace...
If you are interested in my finds, hang on for the next blog...  Ciao, bellas!

 

A bit of boho on display





The entrance to the Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 W. 18th St., April 19-20

The lights in the tunnel on the China bus going home